This newly reduxed cabinet is an improvement on what once was!
And, "what once was" was worn, water-stained, plain, and totally lacking in style. My bathroom cabinets needed a face lift!
I'd fixed up the rest of my bathroom to reflect a Paris apartment vibe (see posts Crocheted Panel and Seashell Mirror Transformation & Small Bathroom Redux) but the cabinet still needed something done with it.
What to do?
I thought of painting the cabinet to match the walls - an off white - so they'd visually disappear but that idea just didn't excite.
My inspiration turned out to be a clock I'd purchased for the bathroom from Walmart. The clock frame had an interesting paint technique that I decided to try replicating on my dingy cabinet.
I like the paint technique on the metal frame of this clock and decided to try to replicate it on my wooden cabinets.
A little rustic, a bit "faded elegance" - a clock frame became my inspiration.
After cleaning the cabinet I dry-brushed on Zinsser primer so a little of the original wood finish still showed through in places. Then, I dashed on bold swipes of red acrylic stenciling paint.
I topped that with a heavy "dry brush" of black, matte paint allowing some of the primer and red paint to show through.
The mistake I made with the black paint was purchasing a matte finish. As you can see in the photo above, the matte paint is easily marred and attracts dust. It was like a chalk board and because I would need to clean the cabinet occasionally I could see that I should have purchased a satin-finish paint.
When examining the clock frame again I could see that it was also satin-finish, not matte, as I'd originally thought.
Easy fix! I simply rolled on a couple coats of clear satin polyurethane to correct the error. This gave me a durable, washable finish which is important in a bathroom or kitchen.
But before I added the over-coating of polyurethane, I once again borrowed my Mom's fleur de lis stencil for the two cabinet doors and I used a scroll stencil that I'd purchased on-line from Amazon to decorate the access panel.
To apply the stencils I used painter's tape to adhere them in place. I "pounced" on a base coat of the red stenciling paint.
Onto a paper plate I sprayed a puddle each of gold leaf and copper paints (not acrylic) and used pouncing sponges to apply the metallic colors until I got the antique look I wanted, allowing a bit of the red base color to show near the edges.
When all was dry, I drilled and screwed on some knobs I'd purchased.
My cabinet redux is done. It was fun, added style to the cabinet, and a bit of Old World drama.
I already had on hand much of what I needed. I spent about $58.00 on this cabinet project which is much cheaper than having a new cabinet installed.
It's fun for me to save money and create something unique using what's already there, if possible.
Supplies for this project:
One wide paintbrush - about 3-inches
One narrow, tapered paintbrush - about 1-1/2 inches
3-inch roller for applying polyurethane and paint tray
White Zinsser waterbase primer (hanging around from several previous projects)
One quart of waterbase, custom-mixed black matte (should have been satin finish) paint from Ace Hardware at about $18.00
One quart of waterbase satin polyurethane from Ace Hardware at $9.99
Fleur de lis stencil (borrowed from Mom)
Scroll stencil purchased on Amazon from Designer Stencils - $20.00
Red acrylic stencil paint on hand from a previous project by Apple Barrel in Flamenco Red for both color swipes and stenciling
Gold leaf spray paint (non-acrylic) on hand from a previous project
Copper spray paint (non-acrylic) on hand from a previous project
Four knobs at about $10.00 total from Home Depot
* * * *
Here's a handy hint. If you don't have paint tray liners, use plastic grocery bags or small wastebasket bags to line the tray. If using grocery bags you may need two. Insert the paint tray, tape them in place, winding handles around paint tray legs, then remove and toss the bags when finished.